Swirly Floral Happy Birthday Card
I am so excited! This week my craft tote bag was chosen to be the inspiration for our Creative Cat Crew color challenge #53. Here is the image:
The colors are: Sweet Sugarplum, Berry Burst, Pacific Point, Tempting Turquoise, Basic Black and Very Vanilla. I was lucky to be able to slip in to today's Stamp A Stack at Shannon's house, she had a cancellation which was perfect for me.
While there, Shannon graciously offered to let me make my challenge card using her supplies. What a treat! If you haven't read already, we had to leave our new trailer at the dealer to fix a broken axle so I only took a few supplies with me back to my in-laws. It is so nice to be supported by friends when times are tough. Thank you Shannon!
I chose the Swirly Bird bundle. I just ordered the stamp set as my reward for hitting a sales goal during Sale-A-Bration. I think the Swirly Bird stamp set is very flexible and makes all sorts of fun types of cards. Not many stamp sets can make flowers AND a sailboat! If you add in the dies, it makes all kinds of circle centric things, think snowman, wreath, etc, etc... That is why I had to get it! And guess what? It was free for selling a certain dollar amount. This is twice now that I have received rewards for hitting certain sales volume that I wasn't even aware of.
Ok, back to the card. Swirly Bird is not a perfect stamp set because it is all images, with no sentiments. So I looked through Shannon's stash and found a fun font that I thought was a great fit with it. Called Happy Birthday Gorgeous, it has a tall sans-serif font with slight swirling on some of the letters. Perfect!
I popped up the sentiment and the focal layer. The flowers are made with alternating colors of swirls and I even stamped off a few of the Sweet Sugarplum swirls because the full strength ink was almost as dark as Berry Burst. That is a trick I use alot to get more range of color. Stamping off once or twice lightens the intensity of a color. I used my standard matting sizes of 3 1/2" x 4 3/4" for the focal layer, a 1/8" mat (3 3/4" x 5"), leaving 1/4" of the base showing all the way around.
I cut the wavy dies in Pacific Point and Tempting Turquoise and applied them using some Mono glue which works great for thin line dies. The sentiment was stamped in Berry Burst and then framed with 1/8" Berry Burst cardstock. It was not until after I got home and downloaded the picture that I saw it was missing one color! Black! Bah, all I had to do was stamp the sentiment in black to be 100% for the challenge. /sigh. I still think it came out very cute!
Thanks for stopping by!