Thanks Smooshing With Birds Card
Day thirty of the 30 day coloring challenge. Now my question is since there are thirty one days this month, Am I done? or does it last the entire month. I guess I will find out tomorrow!
For today I saw an interesting challenge involving smooshing. Their links go to YouTube videos which I cannot watch as I am on very strict data limitations, so I looked up an HTML tutorial to use, it can be found here: http://backporchatolympia.blogspot.com/2015/05/technique-of-week-smooshi.... I liked her use of the acrylic sheet. I chose a piece quite a bit larger than my card size. It seems the most popular inks to use are Distress Inks and I could have used them but I own a complete set of Memento dye inks with reinkers. I have not purchased all of the Distress Ink reinkers because of space. They are dropper bottles, made of glass,so they take up lots of space and are heavy. The Memento reinkers are very light and short.
I used three colors: 404 Angel Pink, 508 Paris Dusk and 501 Lilak Posies. I was very un-scientific in picking colors, I reached in to three different areas of my case and whatever I pulled out I told myself I would use. I dropped, sprayed liberally with water and smooshed then dried with a heat gun. I decided I wanted more blue so I dropped, sprayed and smooshed just the blue one time. I stopped there and contemplated that the tutorial uses a metallic water spray, which I avoid in my trailer for mess factor. I did think of one metallic option which would not be too risky. It is a very, very old bottle of watercolor additive. Likely a precurser to Perfect Pearls by about 30 years.
I used a watercolor brush and splatted the metallic on. then dried it with my heat gun. I am making Thank You cards right now so chose a very bold thank you die. I added a light edging of grey. Because the colors looked somewhat sky-ish I chose a seabird stamp that I thought went well with the background, It is a set from Stampendous by Andy Skinner called "Nature" I liked all of the elements in it. At the last crop I attended one of the Stampin' up Demos let me run off a bunch of her dry embossing folders and I thought the waves one would be a nice frame around the die cut out background. I cut the colored backgroun out fairly small using a Lil' Inkers Dual Stitched Rectangle, the second smallest one. I am going for as CAS as possible.
I applied the waves directly to my white base, popped up the smooshed background and popped up the sentiment. I really like how it came out! Because I am a colorist I get into coloring things using depth and attempt to make things look as real as possible so getting to be messy and spontaneous is a fun change for me!
The second picture is with a flash to show how many silver splats there really are. The last picture shows the array of supplies when I was in the rough draft stage.
I am entering this project in the following challenges:
Thanks for stopping by!